Relatives in Ndebele

Salibonani bakhithi (hello my people)

Sizakufunda amavocabulary lamhla ( we are going to learn some vocab today).

These are some isiNdebele words for your relatives:

My mother- umama
my father- ubaba
my brother- ubude
my sister- udadewethu or usisi
my grandfather- ubabamkhulu ( which translates directl as "father big")
my grandmother- ugogo
my younger brother/ guy cousin- umnawami (in Ndebele culture a cousin is like a brother/ sister)
my uncle- umalume
so  "Unjani udadewethu?means "How are you my sister?"

There is a difference between saying 'my father' and 'your/his father', and the same for mother. This is not commonly known by non-ndebele native speakers, but should be used.

Your/ his father- uyihlo

your/ his mother- unyoko

If you were to use a "your mama" joke, it is important that you don't end up insulting your own mama. These are some of the common relatives.

Sizakubona kusasa bangane


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. Please i want to learn ndebele,... Here is my emal address:

  3. I am a ndebele but grew up speaking and learned pedi at school. I would really like to learn and know my own ndebele language. I do sometimes google but not always helpful.:


Comment here